Under the general direction of the Legal Project & District Records Manager and working with the Risk Management Operations Manager, this position is responsible for the health system's risk management activities, which includes, but not limited to, managing claims against the health system or individuals including complex medical malpractice litigation, interfacing with legal counsel, demonstrating a general knowledge of the health system's insurance programs, administering the risk management program on a day-to day basis, creating, managing and analyzing risk management data, conducting risk management educational programs, complying with risk management standards by accrediting bodies and regulatory agencies with the objective of enhancing patient safety, promoting quality care, and minimizing loss to protect the assets of the organization.
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in Nursing or related field.
- Requires a minimum of five (5) years of clinical nursing experience with at least three (3) of those years being a Nurse Paralegal, Legal Nurse consultant or similar position that demonstrates an understanding of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Strongly prefer recent experience with audits, analyzing medical records for risk issues, assisting in complex medical malpractice litigation, safety, customer service and report writing.
- Must possess a current, valid AZ RN license; temporary AZ RN license; or valid compact RN licensure for current state of practice.
Must also be in good standing with the issuing Board of Nursing.
- Paralegal Certification is strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have knowledge of the best practices for medical record review and the ability to analyze those records for possible exposure. Must have knowledge of complex medical malpractice litigation processes including experience with discovery and subpoenas.
- Must have the ability to handle difficult situations and angry or grieving patients, families, physicians and employees.
- Must have the ability to perform duties independently and accurately, including compiling and maintaining complex data and producing timely reports and updates.
- Must be able to be a team player and team builder.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple complex tasks with a high level of flexibility and with exceptional time management skills, and the ability to represent the department with a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Must have an excellent writing ability, proficiency with Microsoft Office products, analytical research skills and attention to detail.
- Must have outstanding interpersonal communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with verbal or written media and the ability to explain complex medical concepts to lay persons.
- Must have the ability to independently assess and prioritize tasks depending on severity and nature of potential exposure. Demonstrated knowledge of clinical quality improvement theory, practice and tools preferred.
- Must be able to conduct a proactive risk reduction process.
- Must have excellent listening and problem solving skills.
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in English.
Living our values
At Maricopa Integrated Health System, our values inspire us to dream big and reach high. And we’re delivering some of the most sophisticated care in the country, while making a genuine difference in the lives of our patients and each other. That's the power of an environment driven by values like respect, leadership, compassion and education.
- Maricopa Medical Center, a critical care hospital - the largest teaching hospital in AZ
- The Arizona Burn Center, a nationally renowned regional burn center- 2nd largest in the nation
- A level 1 Trauma Center and emergency department
- The Arizona Children’s Center at MIHS, a 24/7 Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Unit
- The Comprehensive Healthcare Center
- The Desert Vista Behavioral Health Center
- 12 Family Health Centers located throughout Maricopa County
- Competitive wages
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Arizona State Retirement System Plan with a lifelong pension upon retirement
- Generous PTO + 10 holidays per year