Health Unit Coordinator
Under the direction of the Nurse Manager, the HUC's main responsibilities are to act as a liaison between the patients and staff. They must have excellent communication skills in order to serve as this vital link between the physicians, nursing staff, various departments, patients, and visitors. Unit coordinators serve as receptionists on patient floors and in the clinic setting; they must possess a pleasant and professional disposition in dealing with the public. Performs a variety of diversified secretarial duties for the unit, which includes but is not limited to; typing, filing, data input, answering phones, ordering supplies and preparing special projects for the unit. Provides support to the clinical staff by tracking consults, stat orders, supplies, patient movement throughout the system, etc. Assumes responsibility and accountability for incorporating the vision, values, mission, critical goals, and behavioral standards of the organization into their job performance.
Requires a High school diploma or GED. Requires completion of an approved health unit coordinator/secretary program or one (1) year of related work experience, preferably in a healthcare setting. Must successfully complete MIHS computer classes. NAHUC Certification is preferred. Must have a working knowledge of medical terminology and be proficient in the use of computer programs such as Microsoft Office. Must have ability to work with culturally diverse people. Requires excellent communication and time management skills. Knowledge of electronic medical record is helpful for the role. Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in English. Bilingual is preferred.
Living our values
At Maricopa Integrated Health System, our values inspire us to dream big and reach high. And we’re delivering some of the most sophisticated care in the country, while making a genuine difference in the lives of our patients and each other. That's the power of an environment driven by values like respect, leadership, compassion and education.
- Maricopa Medical Center, a critical care hospital - the largest teaching hospital in AZ
- The Arizona Burn Center, a nationally renowned regional burn center- 2nd largest in the nation
- A level 1 Trauma Center and emergency department
- The Arizona Children’s Center at MIHS, a 24/7 Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Unit
- The Comprehensive Healthcare Center
- The Desert Vista Behavioral Health Center
- 12 Family Health Centers located throughout Maricopa County
- Competitive wages
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Arizona State Retirement System Plan with a lifelong pension upon retirement
- Generous PTO + 10 holidays per year